Aug 19, 2011

When The Fireworks Begin (Chapter IX)

Chapter IX

When James arrived home, Devon was already up and sipping some hot coffee.  James smiled at Devon and walked towards her, he remember the grieving Aleli he has left in the park. He felt guilty, but he has to do that.  Aleli has to realize that things have ended between them for a long time already.

James approached Devon and kissed her on the forehead.  James felt Devon getting tensed. He did not pay attention and instead walked towards the sink to get a drink.

“Jogging?’ Devon asked.

James nodded in between his gulps of water. “Yeah. Did you see my note?” James asked and pulled a chair besides Devon.

Devon nodded. “Alone?”  She braced herself for his answer, she heard James talked to Aleli that morning. She knows that he went jogging with her, but James does not know that.  If James said he was alone, then there are just two possible reasons, it is either he does not want to hurt her or he still has the torch for Aleli.  She was hoping it was the first one, but in her heart she dread if that will be the answer.

James caught the tensed look in Devon’s face. “No,” James said. “I was out with Aleli.”

Devon was prepared for the answer.  In her mind, she was just thinking that he was about to deny it.  She already mapped out what she’s going to say if James lied about jogging with Aleli.

“What are you thinking,” James asked.  He sensed that something is wrong, the minute he walked into the room and kissed her forehead.

“Nothing,” Devon avoided and kept sipping on her coffee, feebly trying to pay attention to the newspaper in front of her.

James grabbed the newspaper from Devon’s view. “What are you thinking,” he insisted.

“James, give me back the paper,”  she begged. 

James shook his head, “Not until you tell what is wrong.”

“There is nothing wrong,” Devon answered, probably too fast and in a higher tone that she intends it to be.

James raised an eyebrow. “Really, baby, I can smell a lie.”

Devon shook her head and then buried her face on her hands and started to mumble. James has to pull her hands away from her face to understand her.

“What are you saying?” James asked.

Devon looked at him grudgingly. “I said I don’t like you going out alone with Aleli.”

“Are you jealous?” James teased.

Devon gave out an exasperated sigh.  “But I don’t have a choice, right? If I will die in a couple of years,  then you are better off with somebody I know.”

It was James time to become tensed, “What are you saying?”

Devon stood up and walked away from James, pacing at the kitchen sink.  She glanced at the refrigerator door, with the medicines and schedule of doctor visits, “What I am saying is that I don’t want to leave you alone, James.  Aleli loves you, we both know that. She will take good care of you, when I am gone,” Devon’s voice trailed away. 

When I am gone, that hit something in James head and he felt that he snapped.

“Why are you always thinking about death,” James asked, with an edge on every word.

Devon recognized the edgy tone, but she continued. “Because that is the reality.”

James stood up. “The reality, the fact is that there are things that could be done to prevent that. Medications, therapy…”

Devon raised her voice and answered angrily. “If it is my time, it will be my time. Regardless of how many medicines I take, how many therapy sessions I attend.”

“Why are you such in a hurry to die?” James angrily answered, raising his voice.

“I am not in a hurry to die,” Devon answered. 

“Then why are you always talking about dying,”  James countered. “Why is it so easy for you to leave me?”

“Do you think it is easy for me to think that I will be leaving you? Do you think that it is easy for me to realize that I would not be able to raise my own son or daughter, if I ever one. Pack lunches for them when they go to school, attend graduations.” Devon took a deep breath, tears gushing down her cheeks. “Do you think it is easy for me whenever I think that I would not be able to celebrate even my tenth year wedding anniversary?”

James went quiet.  Devon leaned on the kitchen sink, her face wet from the tears.  “Nothing scares me more than realizing that I am going to die, that I will no longer
 be by your side.  But we have to face facts and the fact is that most people with my disease don’t have much time.”

James approached her wife and embraced her tight. “I am so sorry.”

James can’t tell how long they stayed that way, but when Devon’s sobs subsided and she relaxed, James could feel the heat radiating between them.  James lowered his head, and murmured Devon’s name before he kissed the side of her neck.

Devon welcomed his husband’s kisses.  She drew him to her and James knew that this will lead them into experiencing another slice of heaven.  He savored the taste of her lips on his, marvelled on how beautiful she looked with the rays of the sun bathing her.

The kissed deepened and they forgot, forgot about the argument they had earlier.  All that matters is that they are in the loving embrace of each other. They even forgot that they are in the kitchen. It took all James’ strength to pull away from the kiss.

James had his forehead against Devon’s forehead. “You’re my life, Devon,” he said with his eyes locked with hers.

“You know what makes me happy,” Devon answered in a hushed whisper. “Realizing that I get to spend my entire life with you, regardless of short it will be.”

James tried to bite away a tear, instead he dipped his head again and took her lips. He kissed her with such intensity and passion, as if it would be the last time he would kiss her, taste her.  James lifted Devon and carried her upstairs, without taking his eyes off his lovely wife.

In the bedroom, James laid Devon on the wide bed and started to kiss her again.  He stroked her soft skin, moving his hand on her sides, travelling from the side of her thigh up to the side curve of her breast. Devon took a deep breath and shivered from the touch.

James smiled and removed her clothes, one piece at a time, savoring on every inch of her body. His mouth explored every curve, every hollow of his wife’s body.  It was wonderful. Devon’s hands were travelling on her husband’s perfectly chiselled body. Her fingers were digging on the flesh whenever James sent her shivering with pleasure.

In a few moments, they were both soaring, their bodies moving as one. When the explosion came, both of them felt that their souls left their body.

“Are we still alive,” James said after a while, soliciting laughter from Devon.

“I think we are,” Devon answered.  “I feel like I was floating.”

James pulled Devon into his arms and embraced her. “I love you,” that is all he needed to say.  And for Devon, that is all she wants to hear.

“I love you, too,” Devon answered and snuggled closer.  James raised her chin and kissed her again.

“Let’s see if we can make you fly,” James said mischievously. Devon giggled as James pulled the blanket over her again and they were both drowned again in kisses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just love your stories....you succesfully described the emotions, and we feel it. two thumbs-up.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.